A marriage registration certificate is a document which depicts that you are legally married to someone. Marriage registrar office issue this certificate after receiving the marriage registration application form by the applicant. Marriage certificate provides social security, self confidence to the women, and it works as valuable evidence of marriage.
Obtaining a passport, changing your maiden name, getting a dependent visa, and opening a new joint bank account needs a marriage certificate. It also helps while claiming a fixed deposit or life insurance benefits when insurer or depositor dies without a nomination declaration. Some other benefits of a marriage certificate are given here. It helps in:
- Claiming a property to the surviving spouse in case of death of the partner.
- Solemnising the second marriage if first one goes for dissolution.
- For legal separation or divorce, marriage certificate need to be produced in court which helps to transfer the property and custody of children.
- Obtaining a work permit if one of the partner wants to work abroad and wants to take along his/her spouse.
- Ensuring a minimum legal age for marriage.
- Stopping the practice of child marriage.
As per the supreme court’s directive all the marriages should be registered irrespective of the religion and cast.